HMCS Skeena was lost in a storm on the night of 24 October 1944. She was anchored off Reykjavík, Iceland and dragged her anchor and grounded in 50-foot (15 m) waves off Viðey Island with the loss of 15 crewmembers.
Her hulk was paid off and sold to Iceland interests in June 1945; she was then raised and broken up. Her propeller was salvaged and used in a memorial near the Viðey Island ferry terminal.
Skeena was laid down for construction by the Thornycraft Shipbuilding Yards on October 14, 1929. She was launched almost exactly one year later on October 10, 1930, and then commissioned as a vessel of the Royal Canadian Navy on June 10, 1931.
She sailed an exemplary service until the fateful day in 1944.