Their motto is ‘Vigilans,’ meaning ‘The Watchers.’
Some of the ways they protect Canada include:
- Conducting patrols;
- Reporting unusual activities or sightings;
- Collecting local data for the CAF;
- Performing sovereignty or national security duties;
- Assisting in search and rescue efforts;
- Assisting with natural disasters such as forest fires and floods.
Canadian Rangers by the numbers:
- Current number of Canadian Rangers: about 5,000
- Canadian Rangers live in more than 200 communities;
- Rangers speak 26 different languages and dialects, many Indigenous.
Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups (CRPGs)
The Canadian Rangers are divided into five Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups (CRPGs), each based in different remote, isolated and coastal communities across Canada.
- 1st Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (Nunavut, Yukon Territory and Northwest Territories)
- 2nd Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (Québec)
- 3rd Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (Ontario)
- 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba)
- 5th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (Newfoundland and Labrador)