CanadiansAtArms.ca does not attempt to “retell” the stories of Canadian operations. Exceptionally, it not only aggregates existing information from existing sources, but it also presents it in a manner that greatly enhances viewing, navigating and understanding and allows anyone to complete/enhance the stories by adding information or images they wish to share. In all cases, original authors and/or sources of material used are acknowledged whenever possible. Authors objecting to the use of their material are asked to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our motivation in developing this website stems from a wish to:
• Facilitate the general public’s understanding and appreciation of the contribution the Canadian Armed Forces have made in the pursuit of peace in the world;
• Provide students with a forum that appeals to their way of learning;
• Organize resources in a manner that provides teachers with a modern teaching aid;
• Enhance the military museum experience by making them available online;
• Introduce and facilitate a greater understanding and appreciation by Canadians of the contribution of civilians (including women and minorities) to the peace effort around the world;
• Include stories on a variety of less publicized groups and organizations such as Nursing Sisters, Rosie the Riveter, the CWAAF, the Arctic Rangers and others; and
• Provide researchers with a resource on Canadian military history they can easily access and navigate.